Below is a letter from Conference Chairs Nancy Meyer and Melanie Elliot regarding our upcoming reunion:
Dear Pelicans, Penguins, Volunteers, friends, family members and all those who will be joining us on StarÂ Island over Labor Day weekend,
Welcome to the 2011 Pelican Reunion Conference! Â We’re so glad you’ll be joining us on island in just a few short weeks. This note serves as confirmation that your registration was received and we are looking forward to seeing you on island.
We’ve got lots of great activities planned including: candlelight chapel services and a family chapel service; silent auction to benefit Star; an upscale wine and cheese tasting event; an intergenerational treasure hunt; workshops on scrap booking, sailors knot jewelry making, crafts, yoga; optional volunteer work projects; bon fire with s’mores; puzzles and games in the lobby, including men v. women Trival Pursuit; Yankee Swap; softball game; we might even resurrect the Star Island jug band (you know who you are!) and, our own former PIT Sam Mansfield will lead a Pel-again chorus that will perform with the Pel Chorus during our combined Conferee and Pelican Talent Show. Â Plus there will be time for relaxing on the porch.
Additionally, on Sunday, September 4, Debbie Weiner-Soule will be leading a memorial service for Rozzie Holt, Harry Lent, Lenny Reed, Albert and Edith Doolittle, Ruth Koe, Fred and Ginny McGill and other pillars of the Pelican community, whom we have lost in recent years. Â We will also be placing stones in the newly created memorial garden on Star in memory of some who have passed. Â All are invited to attend, whether you knew these Star Island legends, or knew of them, or just want to know more about them.
It takes a village to run a conference and we are grateful to those who have already stepped up to volunteer. Â If you don’t yet have a volunteer job, never fear, we still have openings.
We need volunteers for:
– Bonfire Coordinator: (shared with Laity) we need someone to be responsible for the putting the fire out and for purchasing and handing out the Sâ€™mores supplies
– Ice Cream Social host/hostess: (shared with Laity) help out as needed with this activity
– Greeters at the ISSCo dock on Friday and Saturday: Welcome folks as they arrive on behalf of the Conference
Others ways to contribute:
– Bring an item for the Silent Auction â€“ Star-related (e.g heirloom tee shirts) and hand-made items always go well, but bring something youâ€™d like to donate for this purpose. The proceeds benefit the island.
– Bring a talent for the Talent Show â€“ We will be combining with Laity to present a Talent/Pel show. Â Individuals are invited to perform. The island music director, Sam Mansfield, will be leading a Pel-again chorus.
– Bring an item for Yankee Swap — “treasures” that you can’t get just anywhere (and can’t seem to get rid of anywhere).
Here are some nuts and bolts details about the weekend:
Arrival: Pel Reunion 3-Night departs Portsmouth at 1:55 p.m. on Friday, 9/2.
Pel Reunion 2-Night departs Portsmouth at 9:25 a.m. on Saturday, 9/3.
Departure: Pel Reunion leave Star at 1:20 p.m. and arrive in Portsmouth at 2:45 p.m. on Monday, 9/5.
Additional information about boats, parking, and luggage can be found atÂ http://starisland.org/conferences/boatsandparking/
We canâ€™t wait to see most of you on Friday and everyone Â by Saturday morning.
If you have any questions about the conference, please donâ€™t hesitate to email Nancy (N.email@example.com) or Melanie (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email Matt Baya (email@example.com) if you have a registration or boat question.
See you on the rock!
Nancy and Melanie