Below is a copy of the letter we are sending out to all attendees, but in case you lost your copy or you’re a late registrant, here it is;
You ARE coming back!!
Welcome to Pel Reunion 2014
In this letter and attachments (please read all!) find everything you need to know about joining us for a great Labor Day weekend on Star!
- FRIDAY (3 night) arrival: Departs Portsmouth 8/29 – 1:55 p.m., Arrives Star – 2:55 a.m.; Departs Star 9/1 – 1:20 p.m., Arrives Portsmouth – 2:45 p.m.
- SATURDAY (2 night) arrival: Departs Portsmouth 8/30 – 9:25 a.m., Arrives Star – 10:25 a.m.; Departs Star 9/1 – 1:20 p.m., Arrives Portsmouth – 2:45 p.m.
See http://starisland.org/conferences/boatsandparking/ for important information about boats, parking and luggage. Please plan to be at the dock _at least an hour ahead_ (two is better!) of your scheduled departure. Also please see the attached document for important information from the Island; this can also be found at http://starisland.org/conferences/info/. Be SURE to read the attached document regarding parking if you will not be attending the full conference.
So what’s on the schedule?
- Bruce Parsons will be sharing his photos and his thoughts and experiences in celebration of the 10th anniversary of his beautiful book Starlight. This will be an interactive, story filled walkabout.
- More Photography! The Laity conference, with whom we share the weekend, has invited Alexandra de Steiguer, Winterkeeper and author of Small Island, Big Picture to share her photos and experiences. Pel Reunion attendees will be welcome.
- Hand Painted Table Runners with Nancy Meyer. Nancy will once again share her expertise and provide opportunities for you to create wonderful items for your home. (There will also be a limited number of floor cloths/rugs available; there is a $20 materials fee for rugs.)
- Knitting Circle with Edie Whitney. Advice, company and all around good times on the front porch. Bring your own projects, yarn and needles!
- Solar Project talk by Dick Case: Find out about Star Island’s creative and inspiring sustainability efforts. Dick has been guiding this work as a consultant for several years.
- “Paint the Island” Thanks to a generous grant from the Isle of Shoals Association, UU, we will have a supply of pastels, canvases, sketchpads and other art supplies available for you to create your island masterpieces. Just help yourself!
- Accessibility Workshop: Julie Romero and her family will lead a discussion and “scavenger hunt” to highlight the efforts made towards handicapped accessibility.
- We’re taking advantage of the many Island provided tours (Ghosts and Graveyards, Birding, Geology etc). Come along – there is always something new to learn.
- Gardening with Diane: Our own Diane Parsons will be on island working on the beautiful flower gardens you see around the island. Bring your gloves and pitch in!
- Kite Regatta: Come fly a kite with us on the front lawn. We’ll have a few, but please bring yours!
- Candlelight Chapels led by the Rev. Nancy Wood, using the words to the “Pelican Encore” as a theme to inspire and lift you up.
- Our Annual Silent Auction to support financial aid assistance for conference attendance – our theme this year is “My Pelican Job(s)” Use your creativity to bring items related to the work you did on island.
- Nate and Cayce Soule are back with another great Trivia Adventure. Get your teams ready! Use that useless knowledge you’ve been accumulating!
- Social Hour: Thanks to our friends at Smuttynose Brewing Company , we’ll have some wonderful new beers to try. Please also feel free to bring your own interesting brews to share!
- Pelican Picture exhibit. Help us create a wall of memories by bringing photos of you and your friends in your Pelican days
- The usual suspects: Talent Show, Yankee Swap, Softball, Polar Bear Dip, Snack Bar, Games, Trivia, Bonfire and more.
- Pictures from your Pelican years (we’ll display these)
- Softball glove
- Garden gloves
- Musical Instruments
- Knitting projects (yarn and needles)
- An item for the Yankee Swap
- Items for the Auction related to your previous Pel jobs (remember , all items welcome)
- Social Hour on Friday night is BYO!
- Beers for tasting and sharing
- Your Volunteer Spirit – we’ll still be looking for some help when we get to the island, especially for working with our awesome kids!
PIT (Pelicans in Training) Crew: This is our children’s program, capably managed by Ben Soule. All registered families should have received an informational email from Ben by now. If you have not, please contact him directly at email@example.com.
The groups will meet Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning and afternoon and Monday morning. Look for the signs posted near the chalkboard that will identify where each group will meet. The groups are led by “anchor teachers” and volunteers from the conference. We need YOUR help to ensure that safe adult child ratios are maintained. It is expected that your child(ren) attend all PIT group gatherings unless you notify Ben in advance that your will not be participating. Communication is the key to keeping our kids safe!
Please note that while the current Pelicans provide Hall Monitoring in the evenings on the second floor of Oceanic, this is NOT babysitting and parents must be easily accessible at all times. Parents are also asked to pitch in and monitor kids during Social Hours.
To help us fill the island, the SIC is offering substantial financial incentives to former Pelicans – up to 25% off room and board – if you have not attended a full (or any) conference since 2010. This is also available even if you received the discount last year for Pel Reunion. We really want your friends back – so bring them along. There is still space!
Conferee address list
We’ll be distributing a conferee address list on island with your name, address, phone number and email address. If you would rather limit that information please be in touch with the island registrar Matthew Baya at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 25.
Please keep in mind that luggage is limited, nights are cool, and good walking shoes are a must!
We can’t wait to see you!
Phyllis & Chris Carleen,
2014 Pelican Homecoming Reunion Chairs
See attached PDFs: